Bloggy Moms

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Why I Blog About My Daughter's Mental Illness

A few days ago I read this article about oversharing. The author shares her view points about how oversharing can have a negative impact on children as they reach adulthood. It has taken me a few days to process her statements.  Maybe I am guilty of oversharing. One day my daughter may read what I have written about her and be mortified. I hope she knows that my intentions were never to embarrass her or bring her shame. I hope that she knows that I am not nor will I ever be an egomaniac. I hope that she can appreciate my motives.
 Initially I started blogging in 2010 as a way to share some of the funny quirky things my daughter did. I named my blog "Raising a Drama Queen", because that was an adequate description of how I felt. During my daughter's turbulent years this fit her perfectly. Now that she has been stable for almost two years, it doesn't fit as much but it is still a fun moniker. One that she can laugh at as well.
Blogging was and is a way for me to tell our story. There are not a lot of blogs out there about children with bipolar disorder.  The media have never portrayed Bipolar disorder portrayed in a good light. I want to change that. I want to educate others about our struggles with getting my daughter the care that she needs.
I was in an online support group for many years before I felt that I could give back. Over time I found myself able to encourage others. I thought that my starting a blog and eventually a Facebook page that I could encourage even more people. This past April my daughter and I had the opportunity to take our story to Capitol Hill. We both shared about her challenges and triumphs.
I have told her on many occasions that she can be an inspiration to others. Her story can give others hope that they are not alone.
In the past year I have become bolder about sharing more of the details of what my daughter has overcome. Some may criticize and say that I tell too much. This is the very reason why I keep my daughter's identity private. It is a shame though, that mental illness still has so much stigma surrounding it that people like me have to be afraid that our children will be teased for something that they have no control over.
There will come a day where my daughter will read what I have written about her. She may hate me. I pray that she knows what my intentions were. I hope that she knows that what I have shared could quite possibly have led to a change in laws or a change in policy. I hope that she knows how deeply I love her and want the best for her and other children like her. I hope that we have been and will continue to be part of the solution to ending the shame of having a mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment