Bloggy Moms

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Homework Happiness

Yep you read that right! Homework happiness. Today for the first time EVER Princess completed her homework packet in one day. Well all but the Spelling pretest but that is because I insisted that she do that on Thursday. (I know I'm a big ole meanie.)

In the past homework was one of the biggest battles that we had with Princess. Tables were scratched, chairs were thrown, pencils were snapped. Everything that you can imagine happening, happened. We had lots of things happen during homework that one would not imagine as well. None of it was good.

It finally got to the point where I would ask Princess if she wanted to do homework. If she said no, I wrote " Refused to do homework." on her homework sheet for the day. This was not a battle that I was willing to fight on a daily basis. I knew that I would lose. Every. Single. Time.

Even though we asked for the school to stop assigning homework to Princess. They told us that she needed it. It would help her practice the things that she learned in class. They did agree to modify the amount of work but Princess still refused to complete her homework almost daily.

On the rare day that Princess was in the mood to do her homework, she lacked focus and was distracted by everything including the lint in the air. What would normally take 5 minutes to complete, took Princess at least 30 minutes.

Now that everything is going so well for Princess and she is in a period of incredible stability, she almost begs to do homework daily. She has become the "self-starter" that she never was. I can actually be doing something in another part of the house while she completes her homework.

We are still taking this stability thing a day at a time but I am savoring every moment of every minute of every hour. I do hope it continues for a very long time.

I am trying not to worry when the stability will end. Right now I am trying to be "in the moment." To celebrate every victory no matter how big or small. For today it was homework happiness.

By the way, I wanted you to know that I have a Facebook page for this blog. Here is the link: Raising a Drama Queen on Facebook. I'm posting little nuggets there that I don't always post here. I am also finding it is a good way for me to get feedback from others. Check it out, then  "Like" it and share it on your Facebook wall. Thanks for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment