Bloggy Moms

Monday, December 2, 2013

Tough Choices

I have a confession to make. I am not perfect. I am sometimes selfish. Yes even when it comes to my own daughter's needs. You see sometimes things are going so well that I don't want to risk the possibility of things going south.
Today I had to make a tough choice. Some might say I had to put my big girl panties on.
For a few weeks now I have been putting off this decision. Sort of procrastinating if you will. I had decided that we had had enough changes that our family and Princess in particular would do well without this possible change.
Like all procrastinators my hesitancy came out of fear. I was afraid of what I would hear. Afraid of what the doctor would say. On the other hand if I put it off for much longer, I risked putting my daughter's well being in danger.
What I had noticed, after it was brought to my attention, was that my daughter's hands were shaking. I feared that it meant that the new medication that had brought so much stability to her, and in turn our family, was causing this.
After Princess went to school today and saying a little prayer, I called the doctor to get her input on this. This particular doctor has her messages go to voice mail but she is really good about returning calls in a timely manner. True to her character she called me back in about one hour. I explained the problem to her. She told me that it probably wasn't the new medication but another that Princess has been on for several years. With this particular drug we recently found the perfect dose. At a lower dose Princess's moods seem to not be as stable.
The doctor told me that we would need to decrease the dosage of this tried and true drug. So beginning tonight we did just that.
The doctor is hopeful that with the newer medication, we should not see any changes with the decrease in the other drug  other than the gradual lessening of the side affect. This mom, however, is worried. We'll know in the next day or two what our next steps need to be.
In the meantime I know that I made the right choice by telling the doctor because I was told that the longer we allowed the tremors to continue, the harder they would be to reverse them.
Even though we don't know what the near future holds, I can be confident in knowing that I made the right choice for my daughter by doing what needed to be done. Procrastination did not win here.
Have you ever let your fears win?

No comments:

Post a Comment