Bloggy Moms

Monday, December 9, 2013

Musings From My Little Philosopher

 "Stable is a place where horses live." I have seen this quote on a tagline of another mom of a special needs kiddo. Every time I read it, it makes me sad. I am sad because it means that this parent has given up hope that their child can ever be stable. I refuse to do that. I have seen times where my child is stable so I know it is possible.
I have to admit that we had a pretty yucky summer and early fall. There were times when it was pretty awful but I never gave up hope that one day my child would be stable. I somehow knew that with the right puzzle pieces (meds, school, therapy etc.) stability was possible.
Right now we are seeing more stability in Princess than we have ever seen. It really is a lovely thing. I don't know how long it will last so I am enjoying every moment, every hour, every day that Princess has it.
I asked her on Saturday why she thinks she is doing so well. Her response blew me away. For a 9 year old to understand this is remarkable. Here's what she said. "I think it is everyone being so positive with me. I have a lot of help. The pills I am taking help me. Dr. Godsend, my feelings doctor and Mr. Color are all there to help me." Dr. Godsend (not her real name) is her psychiatrist. The feelings doctor, as you probably guessed by now, is her therapist. Mr. Color is a counselor at school. Yep she got it right all of those things are part of the puzzle.
Then today I got this little nugget. Princess and I were in the car on the way home from her appointment. I don't even remember what we were talking about but all of a sudden she said, "I know why I was put here (on this planet.)" I asked her why. This is what she said, "I was put here to cheer people up, to pray for those who are sick and hurting. When I grow up, I want to be rich so that I can give to others who have no toys or food or homes. I want to make good choices from now on. I am so proud of myself." I almost had to stop the car because I was crying tears of joy. Then she said,
"Thank you for helping me so much." Wow! I do not make this stuff up. Incredible!
Like I said before we don't know how long this stability will last but we are definitely grateful for it.
This is what stability looks like. I don't care if my child is famous, gets all A's or is the star athlete. To me if she is stable and she has God's heart, that is what is most important.
I am here to say that stable is not just a place where horses live. I've seen it in my child and it is pretty amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment